Saturday, December 25, 2010

Music

Last week, I visited a musician uncle of mine after a long time. The moment I entered his music room I was baffled to see a plethora of musical instruments; from the Sitar to the Saxophone to the Flute and what not!

“Uncle, can you really play each one of them?” I found my awe-struck self ask.

“Yes. Actually, I was very young when I started.” He began. “The first musical instrument I ever saw was the Sitar. I was afraid to even touch it. I was so small compared to it! But then, I did touch it, sat down with it and slowly but steadily started playing it well.

Then I was introduced to the Tabla. Again, the same thing happened. I was afraid because I didn’t know if I would be able to learn it, understand it or synchronise myself with its sounds. You see, Music is when an instrument’s sound and your soul are having a tête-à-tête. But within a few years I became a good Tabla player. After which I taught myself to play the Flute, the Sarod, the Saxophone and all the other instruments that are present here, one by one. And every time, my relationship with each of these instruments started with a noise and ended with music. Now, we are a part of each other.”


I realized there is no inherent Music in Life, nor is it within us. Music (of life) happens when our problems – the instruments – and we sit together and copulate spiritually.

*

18 comments:

rimi said...

Awesome!!!u beautifully gave the msg of perseverance and its importance in life.....an interesting post.

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Thank you Rimi :)

Ekta said...

nice...! inspires me to start learning my Guitar again...

Lebnox said...

Novo, you're one of those who can create a strong impact even with a story as short as this one! "Music is when an instrument’s sound and your soul are having a tête-à-tête." Comes another quotable line from you! Nice! :)

Nethra said...

That was very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing it! :)

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Naman, thanks for your comment .. missing your comments in FB :P

Nethra, thanks for going through it ..

Lebnox said...

:O :O :O

My admiration towards you just grew tenfold! I never expected you to recognize me and give such overwhelming reply. I'm following you and your write ups by hook or by crook! ;)

Heard you're going public with a bit of an info about your third book! It instantly made me ecstatic!

PS: You can still count me as your biggest fan! :)

ARINDAM DEY said...

Nice one bud!

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Naman, I have the instincts of 'the' Jack Clouseau :P .. so nobody goes unrecognized :)) .. yeah I'll update few things about my 3rd novel soon .. but people have misinterpreted the status assuming my 3rd book is coming out now :((

Hope to see you in FB soon ... alright dude?

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Bhaizaann ... thank you :))

Anonymous said...

nyc one....!!!thngs wud b really pleasant n simple if we cud implement ur "blog philosophies" dat easily in our lives......

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Prerna, the intention is people including me make that attempt .. at least !! Thanks for pouring in !!

Lebnox said...

Haha! It would take me ages to attain the level of wittiness you possess.

And yeah, I just want a small update only. I don't want that book to come out now. Put up a status like you always say, all good things take time, better things take more time and 'the best' thing takes even more time! ;) :)

And I'm fine. The past month was very stressful for me so I couldn't help but deactivated me account. You know these pathetic exams! :P
I will be back on facebook to worship you in a full fledged manner soon! :))

AnuRadha GarimelLa said...

"And every time, my relationship with each of these instruments started with a noise and ended with music. Now, we are a part of each other." along with what Naman stated... :) Aaaahaaaaan!!!!!! :)

~ Muzikk is what feelings sound like..eh? ... read that sumwhr!! :))

Nice!! GBU! :)

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Hey Naman, will wait for your come-back on FB .. !! and all the best for your exams .. and yes the update will be in the form of a blog post .. about the book and a little bit from my side in general .. tk care and HNY 2011 !!

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Thank you Anuradha .. :))

Amal said...

Man.... I mean how could u just think so straight n simple.... R u frm some other planet???? Coz people out here cant think so simple, sweet n encouraging at the same time.

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

Thanks for your comment Amal !! Happy to know that the way I view things appeals to you :))


PS: Am very much from Earth ;)